Omana and Maraetai face north and are sited on either side of a headland, with the land rising quite steeply back from the foreshore thus offering spectacular views stretching from Auckland City to the Coromandel Ranges.
Maraetai was a very early European settlement dating back to 1838 and, like Beachlands, was subdivided in the 1920s. Omana's major housing developments followed after a large subdivision in the late 1950s.
The name "Omana" has been shortened from O-Manawatere, (meaning "the dwelling place of Manawatere") from the name given to the Ngai Tai pa site, now part of Omana Regional Park.
"Maraetai" means "meeting place by the sea". The settlement has been well named for the meaning still holds true today as many families flock to this beautiful part of The Pohutukawa Coast to swim, picnic, fish, or just walk the beaches.
Swimming is safe at both Omana and Maraetai, with grassed verges suitable for picnicking and relaxing. There is good parking and a grassed area supports a large children's playground. There's a public boat ramp beside the Maraetai Beach Boating Club. If you are early parking can be found alongside the length of the beach.
Maraetai has a school, pre-school facilities, a service station, restaurant/cafes, dairies, takeaway foods, boating and sailing clubs, and a volunteer Coastguard/Sea Rescue Organisation.
Before Omana and Maraetai is Te Puru Park, also north facing and supporting its own beach. This is another safe place to swim when the tide allows, and the park offers excellent parking, a children's outdoor playground, skateboard ramp and is the home to the local tennis club, Sea Scout Group and the Te Puru Community and Sports Centre.
On the eastern side and separated from Te Puru by the Te Puru Creek, lies Omana Regional Park" part of Auckland Council's wide network of parks. The main entrance is on the left at the Omana Beach turnoff. As well as being a working farm, it offers a camping ground, wonderful views of the inner Gulf, easy walks, a safe swimming beach at high tide, picnic areas, barbecue facilities and, a favourite attraction with children – friendly farm animals.
Omana Regional Park
This park was once one of the first farms in the region. The land was farmed from 1837 until 1970 when it was purchased by the Auckland Regional Council.
It has a long Maori history and the O-Manawatere pa site can easily be seen. As well as large grassy areas and farmland you will find areas of regenerating native bush, easy walks including a boardwalk across a mangrove estuary, and see and hear native birds.
Dogs are prohibited from the farmed area of the park. But provided they are on a lead they are allowed on the perimeter walk and in the picnic areas prior to the cattle stop.
Click here for more information.
Visit the Auckland Regional Parks website
Te Puru Comminity Centre
The Te Puru centre had its origins back in mid 1975 after a local committee had been formed to cater for the sporting, cultural and recreational needs of the area in the future.
In 1980 Manukau City Council purchased the land. From then until 2005 local fundraising events helped raise the money needed to build the centre. Building work started in1997 with the outer building shell completed in 1998 before work came to a halt due to lack of funds. In the early 2000s the Te Puru Community Trust was formed to manage, fundraise and bring the building up to the current compliance standards.
The complex as we see it today was officially opened in April 2005 fully functional and is now home to many of our local sporting groups and activities.